Thursday, September 5, 2019

PLAYING WITH FIRE Spotlight #1: Bass in the Family

Thanks to my dad, I grew up on classic rock and roll. From a very early age (like barely old enough to sit up straight), he propped me up in front of his record player and introduced me to artists such as The Beatles, The Doors, David Bowie, The Moody Blues, and more. As I got older, I branched off on my own and discovered bands like Led Zeppelin and Metallica.

Being a writer, it seems destined that I one day would write a story that involved a rock band of some sort. Thus, THE NEON FISHNETS trilogy was born!

BOOK 1: PLAYING WITH FIRE is narrated by bass player Jackie Hernandez. I thought it would be fun to write from the point of view of a bass player because my dad also plays bass!


Dad doing his thing.


I can remember being a little girl, hanging out upstairs in my room, and feeling the vibrations of the bass through the floor as my dad practiced downstairs. To this day, I enjoy being anywhere there is live music because it takes me to a happy place of nostalgia, like I belong there.


Dad's Precision 5-String 

Most of my family is musical. Dad plays bass, Mom plays piano, and both of my brothers can play the guitar. I've tinkered with instruments but never found one that called out to me, so I simply enjoy and appreciate other people playing music while I stick with the writing. 


Dad's Fender Jazz Bass

If you're familiar with the pecking order of rock bands, you know that bass players always get picked on and are seen as the "least important" band member. But growing up with a bass player for a dad, I learned how important the bass is to creating a song's sound and that without it, bands like Led Zeppelin, for example, wouldn't sound nearly as good as they do.

Writing from the point of view of a bass player in PLAYING WITH FIRE was a total pleasure because I had some great real-life material to work with, thanks to Dad! I think it added an extra element to the novel that wouldn't have been there had I written purely from a distant research vantage point.

Have you gotten your copy of the book yet?


***BUY LINK***


If you have, let me know what you think! And thanks for stopping by!



XoXo,

Scarlett

www.scarlettknight.org


Enjoy my work? Buy me a coffee! 

---> https://www.buymeacoffee.com/ScarlettKnight





No comments:

Post a Comment